she loves;

affiliates will go here :)

Saturday 5 March 2011

what's up with the title!?

No one has yet asked me this, as this blog is just starting  life and no one knows it exists, however I think some people will eventually ask, so I am pre-answering to save myself from answering later <-- a true procrastinator knows when insurance is necessary! The header of this page gives a bit of insight but I'd like to elaborate...

First, what dictionary.com has to say on the subject.

vis·cer·al

[vis-er-uhl] 
–adjective
1.
of or pertaining to the viscera.
2.
affecting the viscera.
3.
of nature of or resembling viscera.
4.
characterized by or proceeding from instinct rather than intellect: a visceral reaction.
5.
characterized by or dealing with coarse or base emotions; earthy; crude: a visceral literary style
^The last two definitions are what I was working with, of course.
[byoo-tee]  
–noun, plural -ties.
1.
the quality present in a thing or person that gives intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind or pattern, or something else (as a personality in which high spiritual qualities are manifest).
2.
a beautiful person, especially a woman.
3.
a beautiful thing, as a work of art or a building.
4.
Often, beauties. something that is beautiful  in nature or in some natural or artificial environment.
5.
an individually pleasing or beautiful  quality; grace; charm: a vivid blue area that is the one real beauty of the painting.
6.
Informal . a particular advantage: One of the beauties of this medicine is the freedom from aftereffects.
7.
(usually used ironically) something extraordinary: My sunburn was a real beauty.
8.
something excellent of its kind: My old car was a beauty.
So as you can see, visceral often invokes the image of blood and guts, whereas beauty invokes the image of some type of loveliness. So there is a certain contrast, which I admit is a little overused in website titles - but what can I say, if you can't beat em, join em. :P
I love the word visceral, always have. My first thought is always blood and guts, but then it makes me this of rawness, primal-ness, the very source of feeling. It is a sort of comment on my own beauty, how no matter how I am feeling about my physical looks I should gaze  into  the mirror, dig beneath the surface, and see the visceral beauty of myself. 

<3


Now a question for you, dear readers (Insurance again :D):

What is your favourite word, and why?

1 comment:

  1. Thats a tough one..there are so many. I'd have to say "light" having a light inside of you and sharing it with others...being a beacon for others. I like Katy Perry's song "firework" with the line.."its always been inside of you, and now its time to let it through".

    ReplyDelete